Monday, September 16, 2019

The Axemen Interview Series: Christophe Murdock

1.Tell us your name and the band you play for
 Christophe Murdock. I play solo, with my own band and currently also am playing guitar in Anarchy For Assholes.
2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar
  I always deeply felt music and wanted to be a singer, then in my teen years picked up the bass. When I finally grabbed a guitar I was listening to a lot of guitar work with Ron Emory (T.S.O.L.) and Eva O (Christian Death)
   
3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?
  I am self taught. I had some piano and violin lessons as a child, a few starter bass lessons in my early teens. Then everything from that point I figured out on my own or from jamming with others. 
.
4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?
  I read music when I was a child, but lost it over time. Never bothered to read professional tab, but do well enough when bands I've filled in for tabbed out their tunes.
.
5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?
  Yeah, I have a wide range of influences including a lot of post-punk, goth, and old school country so I have tweeked with my sound a bit to where I feel it's a little different than some of the others out playing now.
6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )
  On my electric rig I'm currently I'm using Ibanez Artcore Semi-Hollows. I've have three different ones. All fairly new. I used to play a lot of the RG models, but the tone was a little heavier than I like. (Not to mention they look so small when I hold them) I like the earthier sound I get out of the Artcore's and they are a lot more comfortable for me to hold. For acoustic, a friend lost my Ibanez to a pawn shop... so I'm currently using a Fender Sonata. I've made a few changes to it including brass pins and a bone nut and bridge. I like it's sound. I don't even remember what my current 12-String model is...
   
7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them
  My pickups are the stock passive Classic Elites.

8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc
  I use an old Peavey Stereo Chorus 212. I never made any changes to it either. It comes stocked with 2 12" Scorpion Speakers.
9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy
  I used to use a lot of effects when I was younger but started straying away to more a more roots sound and mostly acoustic over the years and just using my built in effects with my electric. I recently dug out all of my old pedals and started using them more as I play for other bands. I have the built in Distortion, Reverb and Chorus for my Peavey with a special foot switch made for me by Cat In Cog Studios. For my direct input from guitar to amp I have my Snark Tuner, DOD Stereo Phaser and DOD Death Metal Distortion. Through my Effects Loop I have a Volume pedal, DOD Ice Box Stereo Chorus, DOD Digital Delay and an Electro-Harmonix Attenuator.
10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..
  Just more pedals. I like messing around with them in the bands I play in. Getting different sounds and tones. I can't stand multi-effect pedals though. So I just want dozens of pedals and a huge pedal board.
11.What guitarist can you not stand?
  None really come to mind.
12. Is tone more important or is technique?
  For me it's tone. I'm not very technical and I tend to get a little sloppy with the guitar playing and work it into the sound at times, but can't stand when my sound is not right.
     
13. Name your top 5 guitarist
 1. Eva O.
2. Ron Emory
3. Jerry Reed. 
4. Todd Youth. 
5. Roy Nichols
14.Who is the most overrated guitarist
  There are a lot of em, but they are better than me so I won't name names. lol
15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?
  Anyone on my top 5 list or Robert Johnson.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment